Can you imagine a party without music? We can’t. Behind the great tunes that play when you go out to party are the DJs, those in charge of selecting the best songs and making them into a playlist.
It may sound easy, but to succeed as a DJ you need much more than just a few songs.
Today we will talk about the most remarkable DJ skills. As we know technology has changed a lot since the first DJs mixing with turntables and vinyl emerged.
The old methods of mixing songs are an almost unrecognizable environment for new DJs, although the skills of those who manage to mix with vinyl and decks are still appreciated.
Subscribe to our newsletter 🎧
The most important skills to start as a DJ
There are basic skills necessary to become a DJ. We will focus specifically on the first performances, not the professional idea of DJing. Ultimately, if what you want is a professional career, you must have more tools.
A good DJ unites a passion for music and a great intuition that allows him to connect with people through rhythm and tempo. To these basic skills must be added knowledge, in technology and music software.
- Something very important for the DJ is musical taste. It doesn’t matter what style of music you are interested in, but you have to have the education to understand what songs will work best for the audience.
- Learn Beatmatching by ear. Yes, there are multiple digital controller options for automatic beat synchronization, but knowing how to beatmatch will come up at some point, not to mention all that beatmatching means in the world of DJing.
- Also, any level of improvisation is super important too. You can nail your set in your bedroom and then perform it. But once you are at it, and you realize that nobody in the room is onboard, it can be nerve-wracking!
- Learn how to take constructive criticism. There will be people who will best be able to guide you and help you improve. They are also going to be the people in the future listening to your mixes and giving pointers.
- Perseverance. A lot of people don’t understand just how complicated DJing can be, and how hard it is to learn. Just don’t expect to get the hang of it super quick. Keep at it, and you’ll get there.
And last but not least, the most important skill is to have fun. Always try different stuff, find out what’s the most fun for you and refine it every day. Keep doing it! To a certain extent, don’t let what you should be doing distract you from what you want to be doing.
Separately, in today’s world you will find it very important to have a knowledge of marketing and how to promote your music online. Learn some basic photo and video editing tricks to generate your own material.
Signup now in Wavezoo